The Italy architecture had reflected an interest in ancient Rome models. The construction of The Palazzo Medici-Riccardi started in 1445 and was finished in 1452. It was 70 feet tall. The building was designed by Michelozzo Di Bartolommeo for the Elder Cosimo. In the seventeenth century the Riccardi family acquired the building and had expanded the building going northward. They had remolded the buildings inside partially. The Palazzo Medici-Riccardi was located on the corner of Via Larga which was the widest street in Florence Italy. Michelozzo created this building that had three stories and was made of stone.
The building seems lighter and taller as one would look upward to the great cornice that had defined the building outline. With the transition of the floor level rusticated masonry to the third level stone work. According to planteware. com (1995-2010) the exterior feature is the windows on the ground floor which has a decoration that is beautiful and the second floor window is over hung by a cornice that is heavy. The corner that is opposite of San Lorenzo is what is called the Medici coat of arms which is seven balls topped by a lily. The interior of the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi was redesigned by the Riccardi family.
There are some rooms that were left it was when the Medici had owned the building. The now museum holds some art and furnishings that was owned by the Medici family. In the palace Chapel there is a stairway the leads up from what is called the square court yard. This had twelve marble medallions that was above the colonnade. Then came the smaller court yard that was a garden. This was designed by Michelozzo along with the wall frescoes. The frescoes was very well preserved it had bright colors present. This picture is from the 15th century and culture of the Renaissance.
Figure 1 Palazzo Medici-Riccardi retrieved from www. bluffton. edu One of the most extraordinary buildings built in the French Renaissance was the Chateau of Chambord. It was Domenico Da Cortona who was the architect working on this building he was to believe to be an Italian. The construction of the Chateau of Chambord began in 1519 and completed in 1547 for the king of France. It took 1800 men to work on the Chateau. It took a long time for this building to be completed because of the Italian War of 1521-1526. It cost 444,070 livres to build this building.
According to Mary Nicklin the building is graced with marble statues. In side of the Chateau of Chambord was one of a kind with four hundred and forty rooms along with three hundred and sixty-five chimneys. It was said that each fire place could had been one for each day of the year. It also had four corner towers. Along with the building it had eighty-four staircases and eight-hundred sculpted capitals. The double staircase that was spiral allowed people to go up or down but they never crossed each other. The double stair cases was supported by eight square pillars.
It was once said that the stair case was designed by Leonardo da Vinci and that it had looked as if the Chateau was built around the staircase (Loire Valley online 1998-1999). The stair case was thirty feet in diameter and eighty feet to the roof. The double helix stair case was one of the architectural highlights it ascend three floors and they never meet. On the roof was a tiny town that had winding streets while walking on the roof was to wander in a fairy land in the sky. According to ask. com The Chateau was to act as a hunting lodge for Francis, The King only spent seven weeks there comprising short hunting visits.
It was hard to keep the building warm in the cold months so the king only went out there when the months was warm. The Chateau was unfurnished so all food, wall covering and furniture was brought up when the king had gone up for his hunting trips this meant that the furniture that was built was made to be disassembled for transportation. The park of the Chambord covers about 5,440 hectares. It is the largest wooded park in Europe. It has many types of trees from Oak, Chestnut, Alder, and Aspen along with many fruit trees.